The COVID-19 situation has forced many companies to allow their employees to work from home. Of course, VMware offers a great solution to accomplish this with the VMware Horizon platform solution(s). End-users can access their virtual desktops from home from any device, anywhere and are then able to start working with their company apps.
Webex version: WBS40.6.6—Blurred background and background replacement. WBS40.8 and later—Blurred background, background replacement, and custom backgrounds. Operating system: macOS High Sierra (version 10.13) and later. Processor: Intel Core i7 4000 series quad-core or higher processor. Intel Core i7 5000 series dual-core processor or higher.
Working from home usually involves working (a lot) with online meetings. Cisco WebEx Teams is a very popular tool to do this. In some cases, end-users will use WebEx Teams within their virtual desktop.
Because end-user experience is very important in any virtual desktop environment, WebEx Teams offers a way to redirect the video content to the end-user’s client system (endpoint), which will not only give the end-user a better user experience, it also reduces the load within the virtual desktop session and therefore on the underlying ESXi host.
The client system will actually play the video content and the end-user will get far better audio and video experience.
- Cisco Webex Teams. Install and Upgrade Guides. Some links below may open a new browser window to display the document you selected. View Documents by Topic.
- Updated on Jan 11th 2021: In the May 2021 release of Outlook for Mac, only the add-ins from the Microsoft AppSource store will continue to work. Injection-based native plugins such as Webex, Zoom and Vera will be disabled. If you are an IT administrator, please move your organization to the add-in version of the plugins.
In this blog post, I will show you how to configure this feature, specifically for VMware Horizon virtual desktops.
Open system preferences security panel - do you see a message there that the webex teams app is blocked? If yes, please click on 'open anyway'. If the above is not applicable, then first uninstall the cisco Webex meetings app from your mac and then go to. Went through Apple (Mac OS) support. Check your Systems Preferences Security & Privacy Privacy settings. Click the lock to make changes - and enter your password. Check the box next to Cisco WebEx for all of the following.
Virtual Desktop requirements
Before I continue, it worth mentioning that everything below is also described at the Cisco Deployment Guide web page.
First, go to https://www.webex.com/downloads/teams-vdi.html and download the Host Installer.
Next, install the Host Installer package, WebexTeams.msi, in the VDI image. You can use the following commands to do this:
- Persistent VDI: msiexec /i WebexTeams.msi ALLUSERS=1 ENABLEVDI=1 AUTOUPGRADEENABLED=0 /quiet /norestart
- Non-persistent VDI: msiexec /i WebexTeams.msi ALLUSERS=1 ENABLEVDI=1 AUTOUPGRADEENABLED=0 ROAMINGENABLED=1 /quiet /norestart
As you can see, the most important setting is ENABLEVDI=1. If you just simply double-click the MSI this option is not used and redirection will not work.
The other important setting is ROAMINGENABLED=1 for non-persistent VDI. If this argument is specified, then the roaming database (the “spark_roaming_store.db” file) is stored in the end-user’s roaming directory (AppDataRoaming). Otherwise, the roaming database is stored in AppDataLocal. This argument must be accompanied by ALLUSERS=1, otherwise the ROAMINGENABLED argument is ignored.
Client system (Endpoint) requirements
The below instruction is for Windows-based endpoint devices.
Again, go to https://www.webex.com/downloads/teams-vdi.html. This time, download the Thin-client Installer.
You can just double-click the MSI and install with default settings, or use the following command-line:
- msiexec /i WebexTeamsVDIClient.msi /quiet /norestart
Important things to note:
- The redirection only works with accessing the virtual desktop via the Horizon Client. Do not use a browser session.
- Always first install the Horizon Client on the endpoint device, then the WebEx Teams client.
- WebEx Teams always detects the Citrix client first. If only using VMware Horizon, un-install the Citrix agent from the endpoint device.
- The WebEx Teams client and Horizon Client must be the same architecture; 32-bit or 64-bit but not a mix of the two.
- Horizon Agents 7.10 and newer are supported.
- Unfortunately, there is no macOS client installer just yet… You can only use the clients that are specified in the previous screenshot.
Testing the solution
Webex Player For Mac
You can verify if the redirection is working by checking the Health Checker option in the Help menu. This option must show a connected status for the Virtual Channel. If you are missing a requirement, the Virtual Channel does not have connected status, or isn’t there at all.
Download Cisco Webex Teams For Mac
During my tests I was using a 2vCPU, 4GB memory Windows 10 virtual desktop and I was testing with one other colleague in the WebEx Teams session. With redirection enabled, We noticed the video was presented in a higher resolution and the sound was much clearer as opposed to not using redirection. We also noticed the CPU and memory usage dropped by 10% and 200MB when using redirection, this was of course because the video content was offloaded/redirected to the endpoint device.
By default, the Webex Teams installer sets up the application to start on login. This documentation will highlight how to disable this functionality on both Mac and Windows operating systems.
- Search for and open 'Task Manager' with administrative rights. (Right click and select 'Run as administrator')
- Expand the Task Manager window by selecting 'More details'
- Navigate to the 'Startup' tab.
- Locate 'Webex Teams' or 'Webex' and select it.
- Select 'Disable on the bottom right hand corner of the Task Manager window.
Webex Teams Macos Catalina
- On your Mac, locate the Apple icon in the top left and select it followed by 'System Preferences...'
- Once in the System Preferences view, locate and select 'Users & Groups'
- Once in the Users & Groups menu, ensure that the proper user is select and switch to the 'Login Items' view
- On the Login Items page, either select and remove the 'Webex' or 'Webex Teams' application using the minus symbol or hide the application by selecting the checkbox
- Please note that to perform any of these actions, you may be required to unlock the window / settings via the lock icon in the bottom left of the system preferences window. You will required administrative access over your system to perform this.
Webex Teams Download Mac
Download Webex For Mac
|Keywords:||webex, webex teams,cisco, auto, start, login, mac, windowsSuggest keywords||Doc ID:||89155|
|Owner:||Keevan B.||Group:||Cisco Webex|
|Created:||2019-01-17 15:54 CDT||Updated:||2021-01-11 15:21 CDT|
|Sites:||Cisco Webex, DoIT Help Desk, DoIT Tech Store|
|Feedback:||15CommentSuggest a new document|